the original Palais in St Kilda Melbourne c 1915,
In 1853 William Kenney opened a bathing ship, which along with the pier became one of St Kilda’s major tourist attractions. But it was the coming of cable trams in 1888 that really transformed the area into the pleasure zone of the metropolis. In 1906 this role was highlighted by Carlo Catani, who redesigned the foreshore along the lines of a Mediterranean resort. In 1912 the entertainment entrepreneurs of the Greater J.D. Williams Co. opened Luna Park. For decades the American Phillips brothers ran it, along with the Palais de Danse next door. From 1915 they screened moving pictures at the Palais Theatre, which was destroyed by fire and rebuilt in its present form in 1926.