#AceNewsReport – Feb.12: Peter Frank Hickman, 85 (08.08.36) of Lawdley Road, Coleford, Gloucestershire was sentenced at Bristol Crown Court on Friday, 11 February to six years’ imprisonment.
#AceDailyNews Court Report: A man who was in charge of children’s homes both as a Housemaster and Superintendent in the 60s and 70s has been jailed for sex offences.
On Monday, 26 July 2021 he pleaded guilty to the following offences at Croydon Crown Court:
– Indecent assault on a boy under the age of 16, committed in the victim’s bedroom, between December 1965 and November 1972; – Indecent assault on a boy under the age of 16, on at least 30 occasions, between December 1965 and November 1972; – Gross Indecency on a boy under the age of 14, on at least 30 occasions, between December 1965 and December 1970.
He will be placed on the sex offenders register for life.
In 2018, officers from the Met’s Operation Winterkey received a third party allegation of non-recent sexual assault. Operation Winterkey investigate allegations of non-recent child sexual abuse involving people of public prominence and/or institutions.
In May 2018, the officers spoke with the victim who confirmed his willingness to engage with the investigation.
The offences were committed against the victim whilst he was resident in a children’s home located in Park Road, Beckenham and later located in College Road, Dulwich during the 1960’s and 1970’s.
Detective Constable Simon Rubery, the investigating officer, said:“Hickman took advantage of a child in his care while in a position of trust and committed atrocious crimes against him on many occasions.
“Tragically the victim died last year and he will never know that his abuser has been brought to justice. I would like to commend his bravery for helping to make this possible.
“I can only hope that this sentence will give others the courage to come forward and report any abuse they have suffered, current or non-recent.
“Given the predatory nature of Hickman’s offending, there is a possibility that he abused other children. We urge any further victims to contact police right away – a specially trained team of detectives are ready to listen and support you.”
+ If you have been a victim of sexual assault or rape or you have information about an offender, contact police on 101 (999 in an emergency).
Further information, including details of agencies and charities that can offer support can be found on our website.
#AceDailyNews Court Report: Nazir Ahmed resigned from the House of Lords but retains the title Lord Ahmed of Rotherham according to GB News: Jamie Micklethwaite: Published friday 04 February 2022 – 14:46 Last updated friday 04 February 2022 – 15:10
Peer and former politician Lord Nazir Ahmed has been jailed for five years and six months for the attempted rape of a young girl and sexually assaulting a boy under 11 in the 1970s.
The 64-year-old, who has resigned from the House of Lords but retains the title Lord Ahmed of Rotherham, was found guilty at Sheffield Crown Court in January of two counts of attempted rape and one of buggery.
The court heard how the repeated abuse happened in Rotherham when he was a teenager in the 1970s.
On Friday a judge, Mr Justice Lavender, jailed Ahmed for five years and six months.
He told Ahmed: “Your actions have had profound and lifelong effects on the girl and the boy, who have lived with what you did to them for between 46 and 53 years.
“Their statements express more eloquently than I ever could how your actions have affected their lives in so many different and damaging ways.”
The victim of the attempted rapes read her own victim personal statement in court, saying: “An overwhelming feeling of shame remained with me throughout my childhood and early adult years.
“It was a burden I was made to carry, and it silenced me for many years.
“It is now time for me to pass that burden to him – the paedophile who I know feels no personal shame.”
She added that Ahmed had however now been “publicly shamed” for his actions.
Ahmed’s two older brothers Mohammed Farouq, 71, and Mohammed Tariq, 66, were also charged with indecent assault in relation to the same boy that Ahmed abused.
Both men were deemed unfit to stand trial, but a jury found that they did the acts alleged.
Farouq and Tariq were both given absolute discharges after the judge said the only other two options – a hospital order or a supervision order – would not be appropriate in this case.
A victim personal statement from the male complainant read in court said being sexually abused by the three men had “affected me on a daily basis” and left him unable to show affection to his own children.
He said: “I buried the abuse and carried it with me on my own for years and years.
“I feel shame because of what these men did to me.
“This is not about revenge, this is about justice.”
In mitigation, Imran Khan QC said Ahmed had “devoted his life to public service” and that his “fall from grace” had been “in the full glare of publicity,” including a campaign for him to be stripped of his title.
Mr Khan said: “That very good reputation he had has gone.”
The judge said that according to legal guidelines, the sentence must be in line with the one that would have been imposed at the time the offence was committed.
He jailed Ahmed for three and a half years for the offence of buggery, and imposed two concurrent sentences of two years for each of the attempted rapes.
Mr Justice Lavender also adjourned the case for six weeks to determine whether Ahmed could pay prosecution costs.
During the trial, the jury was played a recording of a telephone call between the two complainants, made by the woman after she went to the police in 2016.
Tom Little QC, prosecuting, told the jury that the call was prompted by the man contacting the woman by email saying: “I have evidence against that paedophile.”
Former Labour member Ahmed resigned from the House of Lords in November 2020 after reading the contents of a conduct committee report which found he sexually assaulted a vulnerable woman who sought his help.
The report made him the first peer to be recommended for expulsion, but he resigned before this could be implemented.
Ahmed had previously denied all the charges
Ahmed was charged along with his two older brothers, Mohammed Farouq, 71, and Mohammed Tariq, 65, but both these men were deemed unfit to stand trial.
Farouq and Tariq faced charges of indecent assault in relation to the same boy that Ahmed abused and the jury found that they did the acts alleged.
#AceNewsReport – Dec.01: The 24-year-old Sydney woman, who pleaded guilty to three counts of failing to comply with the order – including by misusing her permitted mobile phone – is the first person convicted of contravening a post-custodial Control Order.
#AceDailyNews reports that a convicted terrorist jailed for breaching Control Order which was applied for by the Australian Federal Police and granted by the Federal Court of Australia, outlines conditions imposed on her when she was released from custody in December 2019.
Publish date: Tuesday, 30 November 2021, Publish time: 10:54am
She served almost four years’ jail for conspiracy to do acts in preparation for a terrorist act after she attempted to acquire firearms to carry out a domestic terror attack on a Sydney shopping centre.
In July 2020, just six months after her release from prison, the AFP High Risk Terrorism Offenders team arrested and charged the woman with repeatedly contravening conditions of the Control Order.
This included misuse of her mobile phone and requesting other people to use the social media platform WhatsApp on her behalf.
She has been in custody since her arrest last year and the sentence was backdated to reflect time served, so she was released from prison yesterday (29 November 2021).
AFP Assistant Commissioner Scott Lee said Control Orders are among the legislative measures used by authorities to protect the community from terrorism, by restricting certain actions and imposing other obligations on those subject to the orders.
“The AFP’s High Risk Terrorism Offenders teams around Australia work tirelessly with our partner agencies to ensure community safety and we take seriously any breach of a Control Order,” he said. “This sentencing shows any violation of these orders can attract a jail term.
“This is a very good outcome for the community and demonstrates the commitment of the AFP and our Commonwealth and State partners to keeping Australians and Australia’s interests safe.”
About 70 per cent of convicted terrorist offenders released on Control Orders since 2019 have been prosecuted for contravening their orders.
#AceNewsReport – July.25: The men got between three-and-a-half and seven years of jail time: The attack in Yuen Long, which was captured by victims and bystanders on mobile phones, left the city in shock.
#AceDailyNews reports on the Yuen Long Attack 2019: Hong Kong court jails seven men after violent attack on pro-democracy protestors …..
#AceNewsReport – June.13: She was greeted by supporters and media – but was driven away without making any comments: The authorities did not say why she had been freed early:
HONG KONG: Activist Agnes Chow released from prison after she was jailed last year and China later imposed a national security law to stifle dissent in Hong Kong so what is the Basic Law and how does it work?
6 hours ago
Chow and fellow activists Joshua Wong and Ivan Lam were jailed last year for their role in protests in 2019.
Chow, 24, left the prison gates at about 10:00 local time (02:00 GMT) on Saturday.
Her supporters were heard shouting “Add oil!” – an expression that became a rallying cry during the mass protests.
Chow did not speak to the waiting media, as she was picked in a car by her friends.
Alongside Wong and Lam, also in their 20s, Agnes Chow became the face of Hong Kong’s protests. They remain in prison.
Chow’s supporters have dubbed her “the real Mulan”, in reference to the legendary Chinese heroine who fought to save her family and country. Others have called her the “goddess of democracy”.
Nathan Law, another prominent young activist, has been given asylum in the UK after fleeing Hong Kong.
What is the national security law all about?
Hong Kong – a special administrative region of China – was always meant to have a security law, but could never pass one because it was so unpopular.
So this is about the government in Beijing stepping in to ensure the city has a legal framework to deal with what it sees as serious challenges to its authority.
The details of the law’s 66 articles were kept secret until after it was passed last year. It criminalises any act of:
secession – breaking away from the country
subversion – undermining the power or authority of the central government
terrorism – using violence or intimidation against people
collusion with foreign or external forces
The law came into effect at 23:00 local time on 30 June 2020, an hour before the 23rd anniversary of the city’s handover to China from British rule.
It gives Beijing powers to shape life in Hong Kong it has never had before. Critics say it effectively curtails protest and freedom of speech – China has said it will return stability.The history behind Hong Kong’s identity crisis and protests – first broadcast November 2019
#AceNewsReport – May.28: The arrests have continued and jail terms too. That is the situation facing captured blogger Roman Protasevich and his student girlfriend. Mr Protasevich said before he was detained he feared the death penalty, which Belarus still has, because he had seen his name on a terrorism list.
BELARUS: ‘Press Freedom curtailed and stories of fear and violence with some 7,000 Belarusians being rounded up and thrown into crowded prisons in a matter of days, when they took to the streets in August 2020 to denounce the presidential election as rigged with reports suggesting beatings and torture were rife’
One shocking official video, purportedly of a political activist who died last week, shows a man collapsing unconscious in his cell. Belarus’s biggest independent news site Tut.by has been raided and its top editors put in jail.
‘No doubt he was tortured’
Many of the thousands arrested in the capital Minsk last August ended up at the notorious police detention centre at Okrestina Street.
That is also where student Sofia Sapega has been taken, according to her mother. She and Roman Protasevich were arrested after their Ryanair flight was forced to divert to Minsk airport. He is said to be in another Minsk jail, identified as preventive prison number one.
Both have made video confessions, widely assumed to have been made under duress. In Mr Protasevich’s brief video he was shown with dark marks on his forehead.
Reuters: In Roman Protasevich’s “confession” video (L), he can been with marks on his forehead
Exiled opposition leader Svetlana Tikhanovksaya said: “He’s clearly beaten and under pressure; there is no doubt that he was tortured. He was taken hostage.”
Belarus’s leader of 26 years, Alexander Lukashenko, told parliament that ill-wishers at home and abroad had “crossed many red lines and crossed boundaries of common sense and human morality”.Roman Protasevich’s father tells the BBC he is fearful his son may be tortured
Alina, 20, described her treatment at Okrestina last August, after she was grabbed by Belarus special forces. “At the entrance stood a man who shouted: ‘Faster, you bitches!’ I said: ‘Why are you speaking to us like that?’ He grabbed my neck and kicked me against the wall,” she told BBC Russian.
Threatened with violence, she signed a statement without knowing what was in it. “Get on and sign it, or I’ll [rape] you and put you away for another 20 days,” she describes being told.
Another detainee called Sergei described being forced to crawl while being beaten repeatedly. Amnesty International said some ex-detainees had described detention centres becoming torture chambers.
“We were forced to stand in the yard all night. We could hear women being beaten,” said another man who showed the BBC his bruises. Journalist Nikita Telizhenko wrote an account of people lying on the floor, piled on top of each other.
EPAReleased detainees showed their bruising outside the Minsk detention centre last August
At the time, Alexander Lukashenko’s government denied widespread allegations of abuse.
The arrests have continued and, according to human rights group Viasna, there are 421 political prisoners ranging from bloggers to businessmen, peaceful protesters to presidential election candidates.
Among the candidates in jail since last year are Viktor Babaryko and Sergei Tikhanovsky, whose wife Svetlana took over as candidate and later claimed victory in the vote. Babaryko’s closest aide, Maria Kolesnikova, became a protest leader and was detained in September. She faces charges including “conspiracy to seize power through unconstitutional means”.
Political dissidents are still being sentenced. Senior opposition activist Pavel Severinets was given seven years in jail this week for taking part in “mass unrest”, while six others were given jail terms of four to seven years.
Journalists have been targeted too. In February Katerina Andreyeva and Daria Chultsova of Polish-based Belsat TV were jailed for filming an unauthorised protest. This month, Belarus’s biggest independent website Tut.by was raided and many of its journalists arrested. Twelve are still in jail.
Sergei Sheleg/BelTA/Handout via ReutersKaterina Borisevich of Tut.by was jailed for six months for disclosing confidential medical information
Testimony of beatings and torture from freed protesters has highlighted the risk of abuse in Belarus jails.
The death of Vitold Ashurok at a penal colony in the eastern town of Shklou last week aged 50 has raised further questions, according to human rights groups.
Belarus investigative committeeIn the video the man is given an injection before he collapses a second time
A video released by Belarus authorities shows a man, said to be Ashurok, staggering around his cell and hitting his head on a sink and collapsing. The edited footage shows him being given an injection before he collapses again.
Belarus authorities said he died suddenly after a cardiac arrest, although his widow is adamant his heart was healthy when he went into jail.
You don’t need to be a high-profile dissident to get prosecuted in the current climate.
As street protests became increasingly risky, symbolic gestures took over, although even they can be targeted by authorities.
One man was arrested in Minsk for allegedly supporting protesters with a red-and-white “paper banner” on his balcony – the colours of the opposition flag. A woman wearing red-and-white socks was fined 2,320 Belarus roubles (£650; $906) under the laws of unauthorised protest.