Categories
Ace Breaking News

BREAKING AUSTRALIA: Navy team detonates suspected World War II bomb discovered in Darwin Harbour

This is our daily post that is shared across Twitter & Telegram and published first on here with Kindness & Love XX on peace-truth.com/

#AceNewsRoom With โ€˜Kindness & Wisdomโ€™ Sept, 25, 2022 @acebreakingnews

Ace News Room Cutting Floor 25/09/2022

Follow Our Breaking & Daily News Here As It Happens:

#AceBreakingNews – A team of navy divers has detonated a suspected World War II “dummy bomb” that’s believed to have been sitting on Darwin Harbour’s seabed for up to 80 years.

Play Video. Duration: 39 seconds
A specialist navy dive team successfully detonated the device in Darwin Harbour. 

Footage released by the Australian Defence Force shows the controlled explosion, which was performed on Monday afternoon.

Commercial divers originally found the suspected bomb last Wednesday, with authorities declaring a 250-metre exclusion zone around the object as a precaution.

A team of navy divers โ€” known as Clearance Dive Team One โ€” were then dispatched to Darwin to locate and safely deal with the weapon.

But these efforts were complicated after the team was unable to find it on the sea floor.

Commercial divers subsequently relocated the weapon. 

A navy boat with four navy seamen on board crossing a harbour with a large industrial facility in the background.
Clearance Dive Team One were deployed to Darwin following the suspected weapon’s discovery last week.(Supplied: Department of Defence)none

The executive officer of Clearance Dive Team One, Lieutenant Matthew Smith, said “significant tidal streams” and poor visibility brought challenges.

“Once the divers located it, from the assessment of it being a potential dummy bomb unit, we then used plastic explosives to lay on top of the item and then we [did] a controlled detonation remotely,” he said.

He said the operation “provides us with the confidence the entire item has been disposed of safely”.

Despite corrosion and marine growth, Defence said in a statement that the item was identified as a “potential dummy bomb historically used by aircraft in targeting practice”. 

Bomb found during survey works

Bombs have been found on construction sites around Darwin, many decades after it was repeatedly bombed by the Japanese.(Supplied)none

The now-exploded device is suspected to date back to World War II, when Darwin was subjected to two years of bombardment by the Japanese. 

The deadliest attack came on February 19 1942, when a Japanese raid killed 236 people in the Northern Territory capital. 

The latest find came about as surveyors scoped out the sea floor around the proposed Darwin Ship Lift.

The object was found about 330 metres south of Darwin’s East Arm barge ramp, according to the Northern Territory’s Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics.

It is far from the first dangerous reminder of the bombing of Darwin, with a mortar found on the side of one of the city’s busiest roads in 2015.

ABC NEWS

#AceNewsDesk report โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Published: Sept.25: 2022:

Editor says โ€ฆSterling Publishing & Media Service Agency is not responsible for the content of external site or from any reports, posts or links, and can also be found here on Telegram: https://t.me/acenewsdaily and all wordpress and live posts and links here: https://acenewsroom.wordpress.com/ and thanks for following as always appreciate every like, reblog or retweet and free help and guidance tips on your PC software or need help & guidance from our experts AcePCHelp.WordPress.Com

By ace101

Ace Worldwide News Group working with Kindness & Wisdom in perfect harmony to provide help and guidance through news & views and the truth to people in need Amen